W. V. Cats Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember:  Ribbon, string and tinsel (icicles) are dangers to cats as when cats start chewing on them, the cats cannot spit them out so wind up swallowing the whole length.  This can led to a blockage or cutting of the intestines!  Keep all ribbon, string and other string like items away from cats.

Lilies are toxic to cats. Cats can die from kidney damage after eating even a small amount of a lily. Keep all lilies out the house! Don't put them on a high shelf- keep them out of the house!

Author Topic: Male adult cat acting like a mother to a male kitten  (Read 1900 times)

sunny222

Male adult cat acting like a mother to a male kitten
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »

We have an older female cat, a one-year-old male and a new 7-week-old kitten. The female does her own thing and doesn't want to be bothered by the males, but she's not mean to them. The adult male wouldn't go near the kitten at first. Now he follows it around like a mother cat, always licking it and nuzzling it. The minute the kitten wakes up, the older male licks it and it just lays there enjoying it. I know that it is possible for the older male to get rough with the little one, so we never leave them alone and when we leave, the kitten goes into a room with the door shut (with a food dish, water dish and litter box, of course).
But so far, the adult male has been so gentle with the little one and so maternal. The adult was neutered at 4 months, could that be why he's so maternal with the baby?
It's beautiful to watch. I'm glad they get along, just curious if this happens often with an adult male and a male kitten. thanks

kb2zct

• Assistant Admin
Re: Male adult cat acting like a mother to a male kitten
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »

Ho Sunny:

This is not as strange as you might think.  Back when I brought in my first kitten, an older male, about 1 1/2 at that time, became the mentor/ protector of the kitten.  Until the older cat, Floyd, died unexpectedly from heart disease a year or so later, he always took care of the kitten, Ranger.

What was even more unique was that Floyd was all black, and Ranger was all white.  A bit of there story can be found here  http://www.tuxedocatwebs.com/wvcatsforum/index.php?topic=332.0

Mark

PS Welcome to the forum
UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Information contained in this document is designated by the Department of Felines as For Official Use Only and may not be released to anyone without the prior permission of Headquarters, Cat Defense Forces, or the Department of Felines

galensgranny

• Administrator
Re: Male adult cat acting like a mother to a male kitten
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »

Welcome Sunny!

Actually, there are more adult male cats who act motherly to a kitten than you might think! 

The now deceased cat of one of forum members, cat named Kikeli, often acted like a surrogate mother to the foster kittens she had. He even let them suckle on him!

You can read about him and see pics of him with his foster babies at http://www.tuxedocatwebs.com/wvcatsforum/index.php?topic=1664.0.  Kikeli just loved the little kittens!

You are correct to not leave the infant 7 week old kitten along with the adult cats when you are not around, but it sound like things will go well.

I don't know that having been neutered at 4 months old made the difference.  I just know that some male cats like kittens and like to snuggle with them.  But, then, of course, many adult male cats don't like it.  Consider yourself, and the kitten, very lucky that your 1 year old male has chosen to be "mother" to the infant, especially since kittens should not be separated from their real mothers until 12 weeks of age.

How is it that you have so young a kitten that should still be with his real mother?
Margaret/galensgranny- Forum Admin
Caretaker to Sumner, Minerva, Jolie, Clementine, Skeeter, JoeBob, Rey, Jake, Hudson, Snowball and Snowflake 
R.I.P. Bruce, Simon, Seamus, Galen and Earl
http://www.wvcats.com