W. V. Cats Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember:  Ribbon, string and tinsel (icicles) are dangers to cats as when cats start chewing on them, the cats cannot spit them out so wind up swallowing the whole length.  This can led to a blockage or cutting of the intestines!  Keep all ribbon, string and other string like items away from cats.

Lilies are toxic to cats. Cats can die from kidney damage after eating even a small amount of a lily. Keep all lilies out the house! Don't put them on a high shelf- keep them out of the house!

Author Topic: How much to feed a 14 week old kitten?  (Read 3870 times)

CatMom102482

• Kitten
How much to feed a 14 week old kitten?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »

Can anyone advise as to how much to feed my 14 week old kitten?  We feed Wellness wet food and Purina One dry food, and the instructions on the Wellness says to feed as much as the kitten will eat in 3-4 servings per day.  For my hungry little guy, that is A LOT of food.  He is a glutton and will devour whatever you put in front of him, in any amount.  Right now he's getting about 3 oz wet food twice per day plus 1/3 c dry for him to "graze" on throughout the day.  I suspect he is also helping himself to his big brother's leftovers, as well.  :catangelic:   

Since he is growing so fast, is there a weight-based feeding formula I ought to be following?

galensgranny

• Administrator
Re: How much to feed a 14 week old kitten?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »

Kittens that young need LOTS of calories as they are growing so rapidly, and growing bones. Growing bone takes lots of calories.   Let him eat as much as he wants, when he wants, with no concerns about his eating too much.  He needs to eat a lot. 

He might seem to be eating a whole lot more right now due to being about to have a growth spurt.

With a wee kitten, you don't go by a weight feeding plan.  That would be very bad. The goal is not to maintain his weight, the way it would be with an adult.  The goal for a kitten under six months is to pour in the calories so the kitten can grow well and not have any nutritional defects.  If you feed a kitten based on it's current weight, you will stunt it's growth, and impair it's health.

No concerns about a 14 week old kitten "getting fat".  None at all.  Fast growing babies need to eat, eat, eat!
Margaret/galensgranny- Forum Admin
Caretaker to Sumner, Minerva, Jolie, Clementine, JoeBob, Rey, Skeeter, Jakey, Hudson, Snowball and Snowflake 
R.I.P. Bruce, Simon, Seamus, Galen and Earl
http://www.wvcats.com

kb2zct

• Assistant Admin
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »

Let me also chime in with a story on my last young kitten (over 5 years ago).

Mr. Pippin, as a kitten, would easily eat more than my then full grown cats.  In fact, he was easily eating twice as much as my adult cats.

So, I agree with Margaret, let him eat as much as he wants (for now, at least).

Mark
UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
Information contained in this document is designated by the Department of Felines as For Official Use Only and may not be released to anyone without the prior permission of Headquarters, Cat Defense Forces, or the Department of Felines

CatMom102482

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

Thanks very much for the help, everyone!