W. V. Cats Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember:  Ribbon, string and tinsel (icicles) are dangers to cats as when cats start chewing on them, the cats cannot spit them out so wind up swallowing the whole length.  This can led to a blockage or cutting of the intestines!  Keep all ribbon, string and other string like items away from cats.

Lilies are toxic to cats. Cats can die from kidney damage after eating even a small amount of a lily. Keep all lilies out the house! Don't put them on a high shelf- keep them out of the house!

Author Topic: Floyd- kb2zct, June 2006  (Read 1282 times)

galensgranny

• Administrator
Floyd- kb2zct, June 2006
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »

[copied from old forum]

kb2zct
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Wed 14 June 09:17 am    Post subject: Floyd     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m approaching this Father’s day with some dread, since it will be the one year anniversary since Floyd departed for the bridge.

Floyd was my “first” cat and, he was the kitty that changed my heart regarding cats.

Floyd and Little Bit moved in with me three years ago February, when a friend lost his apartment. Having my own house and living alone (except for Missy), I let him move in with me so he could get his life in order again.

Little Bit was about 1 ½ years old then. Floyd was just under a year old. Several months earlier, my friend was looking for a kitty companion to Little Bit, and while we were hanging out one day, we found Floyd at a local pet store. $25 later, we were heading to his house, with Floyd in the car.

When my friend needed to move in with me, I told him he could bring one of the cats, provided the cat stayed upstairs and did not bother Missy. She is, after all, my first “born” puppy and this was her house. Both cats came, because he could not find a home for one of them

Floyd and Missy did not get along at first. Within 5 minutes, Missy was suffering from two bleeding scratches across her nose. First impressions are always important, so the two of them learned to give each other some distance, except when I was sleeping in bed.

Needless to say, the introduction did not do much for my overall view of cats. I think it was something along the lines of “Get that censored, deleted, not appropriate for family reading cat out of my house!”

Little Bit, wisely, decided to stay away from Missy and kept his distance.

Floyd, knowing that I was a real marshmallow at heart, decided to work on me. He started his nightly ritual: jumping up on my bed, making biscuits and curling up for a nap with me (with me always between him and Missy).

Floyd liked to touch noses with me whenever he could. If I wanted to sit down to read a book, Floyd was in my lap. If I wanted to recline on the couch to read, Floyd was on my chest. He was my cat, and I was HIS person!

It did not take long for Floyd to win over my heart. At first it was OK to keep Floyd. Within the month, I talked to my roommate and asked him to give Floyd to me, and he did.. When he moved out, literally in the middle of the night four weeks later, both cats were abandoned to me (and I got the local animal control officer to adopt Little Bit to me as an abandoned cat, too).

Floyd and Little Bit got along pretty good, but Floyd really displayed his character when Ranger came into the household.

Ranger was a pretty sick little kitten when I picked him up from the farm stand (well, to be correct, when he crawled up into my arms after coming out from under a shed). As soon as we had the acute problems taken care of, the introduction started. Floyd immediately adopted Ranger like he was a long lost son. At least twice a day, Floyd gave Ranger a complete grooming. It even got to the point where all Floyd had to do was to look at Ranger and he would come to Floyd for his "bath".

Floyd played with Ranger and was always very gentle. Little Bit, his play was rougher. If Little Bit was too rough with Ranger, Floyd would intervene and set Little Bit to rights. And Floyd would always watch over Ranger when he was sleeping. If it were cool, they would sleep together. If it was too hot to sleep together, Floyd would still be there, watching over Ranger.

One of the greatest joys was watching Floyd and Ranger take turns playing with a hanging mouse. It was almost as if Floyd was telling Ranger, “Go ahead, it is your turn now.”

Floyd had undiagnosed Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. On Father’s Day last year, only a month after his annual physical, a blood clot broke off from his heart and lodged in his descending aorta. The clot cut off the blood flow to his hind legs and tail.

I’ll never forget it. I was calling the kitties out for a treat in the evening. Floyd came out from my bedroom, dragging himself across the floor with his two front paws. At first, I though he was playing a game. When I tried to pick him up, and he fell over, I knew, with some degree of horror, that is was not a game.

After a quick call, and a mad dash to the vet, I first meet the owner of the practice. He is not in the office much; he spends most of his time dealing with farm animals (there are lots of farms where I live). After a few quick questions, he told me the bad news: saddle thrombosis. With a saddle thrombosis, survival rates are poor. Less that 1/3 of cats survive. There are not any good treatment options, as the clots are difficult to dissolve. Surgery is usually not an option, because of the underlying heart condition. He told me that Floyd would probably not survive, but that he and his staff would do their best.

That was the last I saw him alive. Floyd died two days later. I remember it well. I was just falling to sleep in bed when, I suddenly sat up, gasping for breath. Missy started crying, something she never does. Little Bit and Ranger, expecially Ranger, were meowing, too. The next morning, the owner called and let me know that Floyd passed away.

Until that point, I never would have believed in anything like that; now I do.

I have a little urn that a co-worker made for me with Floyd’s ashes. I did not want to burry him because I plan to build my “dream” home, a log cabin, in a few years. I want him to be there with me.

Here is my best picture of him, in his favorite spot – my chair. Floyd would drape his legs across my shoulders when I sat there. This picture is the wallpaper of my home computer.

Mark

Floyd with Little Bit

Playing with Ranger

Sleeping wiht Ranger

Floyd meeting Ranger for the first time

PS:  Here is the story as it happened last year.  I can't go back there myself yet, but others may be interested.
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=34366&webtag=ab-cats
Last edited by kb2zct on Wed 14 June 02:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Maria
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Wed 14 June 10:09 am    Post subject:     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

Thank you for sharing your story, and so beautifully expressing your deep love for Floyd, along with the pictures. It brought tears to my eyes, and I could just feel the emotions pouring forth through everything you shared.

Floyd was a beautiful cat, and I'm sorry you lost him. It had to be so hard on you, and now Father's day is here again. I will pray for you, that your other kitties will make your Father's day a good one this year, with all their love and attention.

Maria

animalangel1
Hostess/Host

Posted: Wed 14 June 11:28 am    Post subject:     

You know....when I saw the title of this I KNEW I shouldn't read it until I got home but I did anyway. Thankfully I'm in an office all to myself at this very moment and I can hopefully get the tears to subside before anyone sees me.

Floyd was a beautiful boy. Very, very handsome. It almost looks as if he had some brown on him too - did he, or was he all black and it was just the light on his fur?

Anyway, I will have to go back and read your story "as it happened" after I get home. Lunch is just about over anyway.....

I am sorry for the loss of Floyd. I am sure the pain is as fresh today for you as it was then. I know, I've experienced it myself. He is still with you. Perhaps HE is the one teaching Pippin all those little things that he does and it's not Sparky at all.... after all, Floyd is an angel kitty now and he can get away with more stuff. 

I will say some prayers for you and for Floyd and for the other kittys in your house (and Missy too) that miss him. I hope you will all see him happy and healthy in your dreams this coming Father's Day - just so he can let you know he's doing well. Sometimes that happens to me and I feel much better afterwards.

minzismom
Hostess/Host

Posted: Wed 14 June 01:50 pm    Post subject:     

What a beautiful story and tribute to Floyd. I read it with tears. But you knew love and gave love however short a time you were allowed and that will always be yours to carry with you.

kb2zct
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Wed 14 June 03:00 pm    Post subject:     

I guess I should mention just a little bit about Floyd's heart condition.

About 10 months before Floyd passed away, he got into some sewing thread. Needless to say, he managed to swallow one end of the thread. This incident was my first emergency visit to the vet.

While being checked by the vet (fresh out of school and his first weekend “on call”), the vet asked me if I knew that Floyd had a heart murmur. I did not. The vet told me not to worry about it, as the murmur was not all that serious.

The surgery to take care of the string was successful. Floyd was in the hospital for several days. He managed to get several feet of string in him, and the surgeon, Dr Cathy, had to open up his intestines in 4 places to get it all out.

Shortly after the string surgery, Floyd started to put on some weight. Eventually, I put him on the Eagle Pack “lite” food, in the hope that he would slim down. His previous owner had not fixed Floyd, and he was a full adult “tom” when I had it done. The vet told me that Floyd would put on weight after his “fixing”. I was expecting the weight gain.

In May of last year, Floyd was in for his annual. I mentioned the heart murmur to the vet and asked about the weight gain, as I was concerned about both. The weight was a little more than I expected. Floyd would also play so hard with Ranger that he would pant. The vet, a temp, told me not to worry about the murmur, and to simply “feed him less”. He did not say anything bout the panting.

If I knew then, what I know now, Floyd would most likely still be here. His hyperopic cardiomyopathy easily could have been treated with meds – and Floyd was my “yes daddy, I’ll eat whatever pill you give me” kitty. A simple cardiac ultrasound would have let us know about the HC. The weight gain was from fluid buildup caused congestive heart failure. The panting was a sign that he was having trouble with his heart and lungs. Two pills, a diuretic and a beta blocker, could have fixed the problem. Kitties with treated HC can live a long and happy life.

Since then, both Ranger and Dusty have been diagnosed with heart murmurs. I’m had ultrasounds done on both. At my vet’s practice, the cardiac ultrasound only cost $40, so I think it will be part of these guys annual examination in the future. The good news is that neither Ranger nor Dusty have cardiomyopathy, based on the original ultrasound results. When Little Bit goes for his annual in August, he’ll get a crystal check done, since had a nasty bout with crystals last fall (but he is doing fine right now).

I edited the first post of this thread to fix up some errors and to share a little more about Floyd’s behavior that made me a cat person.

Mark

animalangel1
Hostess/Host

Posted: Wed 14 June 05:54 pm    Post subject:     

Mark..... I have a question about the panting issue since you now have "20/20 hindsight". Did Floyd only pant when he was running or playing hard or did he pant "a lot more often" than that for seemingly no good reason?

The only reason I ask - and Margaret can verify this - is that Sparky tends to pant but only when he runs around or plays hard - particularly outside (that's when he runs the most). He is not overweight by any means - he's a very solidly built muscular fellow of about 10 lbs.

I'm just curious as to what other things might have tipped you off...... my vet hasn't seemed to notice any murmurs or anything since last visit in December.

Peaches was panting last timet they were out too but she had been running away from me (as I was trying to catch her to bring her in the house) like her tail was on fire. In that case, I can understand the panting..... but Sparky is a very athletic guy and it seems to me he should be able to run like he does without the panting quite so much.....or maybe I'm just paranoid. I don't really know.

Maria
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Wed 14 June 06:17 pm    Post subject:     

Molly pants when she plays for a long period of time, but I don't worry about it because it's only upon excertion and she seems fine all other times. She does open her mouth to breath sometimes when it's very hot, but only for a few seconds.

Maria

kb2zct
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Wed 14 June 07:24 pm    Post subject:     

Michelle:

I would mention it during Mr. Sparky the Bad's next check-up.

It simply could be from playing very hard. I would think that running outside, expecially when a cat does not run outside all that much, could cause the panting.

But, I would ask for the vet to listen for any murmurs.

Mark

rubygirl1968
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Thu 15 June 09:02 am    Post subject:     

What a wonderful tribute to the kitty that forever changed your life. I know this weekend will be tough - anniversaries pretty much stink, but I hope you'll remember all the joy you and Floyd brought to each other and temper the sadness with the good memories.

My thoughts will be with you this weekend.

I really enjoyed the pictures - Floyd was a gorgeous cat.

animalangel1
Hostess/Host

Posted: Thu 15 June 02:31 pm    Post subject:     

Ok..... thanks for the input Maria and Mark. I am only concerned (a bit) because Sparky doesn't have to play "that hard" to start panting. I realise the "open mouth breathing" is more scenting the air than anything else but sometimes I really wonder.

I will bring it up the next time the Sparky monster has to see the bad man. (Hopefully it won't be anytime soon though - I still owe over $1000 to my Care Credit card for all the previous visits!!!!)

darthredlight
Kitten

Posted: Sun 02 July 07:12 pm    Post subject:     

I am so sorry for your loss.....we all have been through something like this.....

I have lost 2 cats.......very very dear to me.......they were like my kids......

the white cat is also beautiful.....i noticed she has a short tail....did someone cut it off or was she born like that.....

I just got an american lynx bobtail kitten.......she has no tail at all....she is so full of energy sometimes i wonder where she gets it at....

when i lost my samson of 17 years it tore my heart out.....I have that personalized plate with his name on it Samson it is now on the front of my race car.....

I know one of these days I am gonna have to face the terrible again as my Toe is 16 years old.....I hate the thought of this but I know it happens....

www.createphpbb.com/thejudge/

kb2zct
Alpha Cat (Moderator)

Posted: Thu 31 August 08:28 pm    Post subject:     

Darthredlight:

I'm sorry I did not get back to you on this sooner. Somehow I missed this message.

Quote:
the white cat is also beautiful.....i noticed she has a short tail....did someone cut it off or was she born like that..... 

Ranger has a long and very fluffy tail. He usually has it pointing streight up.

Mark

Margaret/galensgranny- Forum Admin
Caretaker to Sumner, Minerva, Jolie, Clementine, JoeBob, Rey, Skeeter, Jakey, Hudson, Snowball and Snowflake 
R.I.P. Bruce, Simon, Seamus, Galen and Earl
http://www.wvcats.com