W. V. Cats Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember:  Ribbon, string and tinsel (icicles) are dangers to cats as when cats start chewing on them, the cats cannot spit them out so wind up swallowing the whole length.  This can led to a blockage or cutting of the intestines!  Keep all ribbon, string and other string like items away from cats.

Lilies are toxic to cats. Cats can die from kidney damage after eating even a small amount of a lily. Keep all lilies out the house! Don't put them on a high shelf- keep them out of the house!

Author Topic: What does cat spray smell like?  (Read 8135 times)

Cherry Cola

• Curious Youth
What does cat spray smell like?
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:47:33 AM »

I know it's an odd question and I should know the answer since I've been a cat owner since I was 18! I noticed a smell on some of my stuffed animals for my daycare (grrrrrrr) and in my chair....I have a feeling it is cat spray from Jasper b/c he's upset about the new cat.

I give him LOTS of extra attention and he sleeps with me while the girl sleep in the other room too. (I hope she doesn't feel left out)

Is it a musty smell? Like musk? ???

Is it differnt then a pee smell? I've never actually seen him do it or go near the stuffed animals either. I've seen him near the chair (it's a childs foam chair) but it didn't look like he was doing anything naughty.

galensgranny

• Administrator
Re: What does cat spray smell like?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »

Is it a musty smell? Like musk? ???

Cat urine that has "aired out" a while stops having a strong ammonia "urine" smell and does settle down to smelling musky.  Maybe urine sprayed due to marking has some different scent than from plain urinating, but I don't know if it does.

But might it be that the stuffed animal just smells weird, due to what it is made from or stuffed with?  Foam items can also smell weird. Maybe they get bacteria growing in them, or something.

I suggest you don't let the cats in the daycare area unattended.  I suggest you get a toybox and put all the stuffed toys for the children in the box, so no cat "events" have the possibility of happening.  In addition, put a cover over the foam chair.  If a cat did urinate on it, it will help the urine not soak so much into the foam.

In addition, you need to have one more litter box than the number of cats.  I explain why on my website: http://wvcats.com/litterboxsolutions.htm

I would consider back tracking some with the introduction process.  Your cats may not really be ready for full-time free mingling.  Give them some time each day without the other around.
Margaret/galensgranny- Forum Admin
Caretaker to Sumner, Minerva, Jolie, Clementine, JoeBob, Rey, Skeeter, Jakey, Hudson, Snowball and Snowflake 
R.I.P. Bruce, Simon, Seamus, Galen and Earl
http://www.wvcats.com

animalangel1

• Alpha Cat
  • They came, They purred, They conquered.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »

We've had some male cats "spray" the outside of our house and then I had Wild Al in my basement after his neuter and he seems to have "sprayed" stuff down there... the smell that we have smelled is very strong - you can smell it from a distance (even 10 feet away).  It's not really like a urine smell but I guess you could call it musky like.  It's not pleasant.... I can tell you that.  I really don't know how to explain it.  Sorry.
Michelle: mom to Peaches, Onyx, Lexi, and Katie. Former mom to Sparky (RIP 7/14), Milo (RIP 3/12), Leo (RIP 3/12), Casey (Border Collie- RIP 3/11), Muffin (RIP 11/10), Snowball (American Eskimo - RIP 9/10), Sam (feral Tux - RIP circa 2006), Bunny (Albino Rabbit - RIP 8/03), Kavik (Siberian Husky - RIP 7/94) Former foster mom to Buddy, Pekoe, Wild Al (feral in NY). Honorable mention to stray/feral Mr. Mistofolese (RIP 5/13).

galensgranny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:32:26 AM »

We've had some male cats "spray" the outside of our house and then I had Wild Al in my basement after his neuter and he seems to have "sprayed" stuff down there... the smell that we have smelled is very strong - you can smell it from a distance (even 10 feet away).  It's not really like a urine smell but I guess you could call it musky like.  It's not pleasant.... I can tell you that.  I really don't know how to explain it.  Sorry.

Well, with unneutered or just neutered male cats, the urine smell is extremely pungent, due to the hormones. But it won't smell that strong in a neutered cat who has been neutered longer than 30 days.
Margaret/galensgranny- Forum Admin
Caretaker to Sumner, Minerva, Jolie, Clementine, JoeBob, Rey, Skeeter, Jakey, Hudson, Snowball and Snowflake 
R.I.P. Bruce, Simon, Seamus, Galen and Earl
http://www.wvcats.com

animalangel1

• Alpha Cat
  • They came, They purred, They conquered.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »

We do have unneutered males coming to the property.... I think that's why the outside of the house smelled.  Wild Al was in my basement for between 36 and 48 hours (loose, that is!!!!) immediately following his surgery.  Thankfully, the smells have disipated!!!
Michelle: mom to Peaches, Onyx, Lexi, and Katie. Former mom to Sparky (RIP 7/14), Milo (RIP 3/12), Leo (RIP 3/12), Casey (Border Collie- RIP 3/11), Muffin (RIP 11/10), Snowball (American Eskimo - RIP 9/10), Sam (feral Tux - RIP circa 2006), Bunny (Albino Rabbit - RIP 8/03), Kavik (Siberian Husky - RIP 7/94) Former foster mom to Buddy, Pekoe, Wild Al (feral in NY). Honorable mention to stray/feral Mr. Mistofolese (RIP 5/13).

Cherry Cola

• Curious Youth
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »

Perhaps it isn't cat spray then. I can't smell it unless I put my nose right there into the stuffed animals and they don't feel wet at all. I also had a pillow a few weeks ago (befor Tybalt arrived) that smelled bad. I may get a toy box for the animals though,right now they are in a cute basket. I can't block off the room b/c it's an open room.

They are free to mingle about with eachother but Jasper Jaxx has always prefered to stay on my bed for most of the day even befor Tybalt. They don't get into scraps at all either. She hasn't mewoed at him since Thursday either so that's a good sign.Yesterday I even picked them both up at the same time and didn't get the same resistance as I had before.They were even on my bed together for about 2 minutes! Yay!

I have to go out tonight and spend the night at the place I'm house sitting and I'm confidant that they wil be just fine. I can't really separate them b/c my place is small and also I have just one litter box and really just one place for it.When I get my washer and dryer I'll have to find a new place for it too.

Maria

• Alpha Cat
  • I'm Molly - aka Sweet Molly
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:30:02 PM »

It sounds like they're doing well together.  I'm really happy for you - I really can't separate mine either due to space.  However, I do feed Molly her wet food in my bedroom with the door closed.  Otherwise Molly will only eat a few bites and leave her food - then Jeremy gobbles it up.  However, when she eats separately, she eats the whole thing.  The dry I don't worry about since they both eat a good wet meal.

Yesterday I even picked them both up at the same time and didn't get the same resistance as I had before.

Yikes!  My two get along pretty well - they play fight, but very rarely get upset with each other.  HOWEVER, I would be very hesitant to pick them up at the same time - I value my arms too much!   :catchase:

Maria

This post has been Approved by: 
             Molly & Jeremy

Cherry Cola

• Curious Youth
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 02:24:32 AM »

I value my arms too! JJ jas no front claws so he wouldn't hurt me. The girl didn't seem to mind being picked up at the same time. She has kept her claws inside pretty much the whole time I've had her and at first I thought maybe she has been de-clawd as well.

I hink people in this province don't know much about cats! That's why they are not "fixed" often enough and are de-clawed to often!